Montfaucon offers one of the highest value artist’s retreats anywhere in France. Daily sites vary from unique architecture to beautiful southern French landscapes.
Montfaucon is ideally situated in one of the best cycling regions in the world with quiet country roads and limitless possibilities.
We arrange a special week of hands-on cooking lessons, demonstrations, sight-seeing, markets and wine tasting.
The best of everything. Visit medieval castles, enjoy regional food, taste local wines as we take you around the beautiful French countryside.
Perfect your French while shopping, exploring the countryside or sipping a café au lait.
Custom-make your perfect tour. Tell us what you enjoy and we will come up with an ideal itinerary based on what’s happening culturally in the region.
- Chateau Montfaucon and staff have set the standard for excellence! My husband and I joined lifelong friends for a 2 week vacation and watercolor tour at Montfaucon this August. We are still talking about what a wonderful experience we had and how lucky we were to stay at Montfaucon! The chateau is breathtaking! Watching Penny and Maeve, our energetic and knowledgeable guides for the entire two weeks, was like watching synchronized swimming. Every need and desire was anticipated and their command of the language, sites, local customs, and history of each village made the experience truly special. We really felt as if we came to know the real France in a way that is not possible in a big city such as Paris.~ Jo F, Sacramento, September 2013
- What a wonderful escape from reality! We spent a week here and had the time of our lives. This place defines luxury with big rooms, showers big enough for a party and much eating-drinking-reading space throughout. The staff are some of the best I have experienced and the location is perfect. We spent much of our time road biking and the guides were very helpful in creating the adventures, educating the group on the surroundings and solving any problems that came up (flat tire, etc.) I think everyone should have a week at Montfaucon on their "to do" list.~ Keeley K, Ashland, July 2012
- Still trying to adjust to normal after Montfaucon! Imagine 18 days at a blissfully quiet, chic 800 yr old but fully modern and magnificent place - Montfaucon! As part of a watercolor painting group, I immediately understood why my friend was coming back for a second time. My travel savings account is already getting replenished in case I am lucky enough to be able to come back again myself. The owners and Penny and Maeve, our trusted guides in all things French and Limoux, made this stay unforgettable in every possible way. The food was beyond extraordinary. Limoux is absolutely a terrific place to base a vacation. This was a unique and unforgettable experience. GO! You'll never look back!~ Sue N., September 2013
- A Magnificent Chateau Residence & Staff! Our June oil painting workshop was enhanced greatly by the accommodations & hospitality of the entire staff of Montfaucon. Penny planned our itinerary; & along with Maeve, expertly navigated our large plein air painting group by van to tour destinations in the South of France that were absolutely breathtaking and rich in history. We were treated fabulously at Montfaucon, and I'm planning on making it a future destination.~ Suzanne S, El Dorado Hills, July 2013
- Montfaucon was the site of an oil painting workshop I attended, and it did not disappoint. The chateau, which sleeps ten, touts a winding staircase, large, beautifully appointed bedrooms with en suite baths, a painting "cave" (formerly wine cellar) and a terrace overlooking the Aude River. Our tour guides were two young women, vibrant and knowledgeable about southern France. They provided history, anecdotes and the savvy that comes from living in and loving the place where you're working.~ Susan B, Sacramento, June 2013
- Magic happens in Montfaucon! I signed up for a painting workshop and was blown away by the amazing bed and breakfast, divine sightseeing and incredible service. New adjectives will need to be created to describe this place. I loved it.~ Melanie C, Sydney, June 2013